Jul 20, 2018  
2017-2018 University Catalog 
2017-2018 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

VIII. Special Issues Concerning Research

Research and instructional activities conducted by Purdue University faculty, staff, and students, or involving the use of Purdue University facilities, are subject to a number of policies and regulations administered by several campus offices, but coordinated through the Office of the Executive Vice President of Research and Partnerships. (See Section IX-B .)

A. Patents and Copyrights

The University retains all domestic and foreign rights in and to any and all inventions and materials made or developed by University personnel, either in the course of employment by the University or through the use of facilities or funds provided by or through the University.  University personnel include part‑time and full‑time members of the faculty, staff, all other agents and employees, undergraduate and graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows of the University.

The rights owned by the University include all economic and property rights as well as the right to patent inventions and to copyright materials.  Net proceeds normally will be shared with the inventor.  Patents, inventions, and copyrights are supervised by the Office of Technology Commercialization in accordance with University Policies on Teaching, Research, and Outreach, Intellectual Property.

Ownership of the thesis or dissertation prepared for an advanced degree resides with the author.  Purdue University has an agreement with ProQuest Information and Learning, Ann Arbor, Michigan, for publishing the Ph.D. dissertations.  At the time of graduation, candidates will be asked to complete a Doctoral Dissertation Agreement Form and an Addendum (G.S. Form 14) to that form giving ProQuest Information and Learning permission to publish the dissertation.  The availability of the dissertation will be announced by a listing of the title and a reproduction of the dissertation abstract in Dissertation Abstracts International, a monthly journal distributed to leading libraries here and abroad.  The thesis fee covers the cost of production, publication, and distribution of the abstract.  A copy of all or part of the dissertation may be ordered by anyone from the publishers of Dissertation Abstracts International.  Publication by ProQuest Information and Learning does not preclude the printing of a dissertation in whole or in part in a journal or as a monograph.

It is the expectation of the Graduate School that all documents are scanned through the iThenticate process before submission.

The Graduate School recommends that all faculty, students, and staff attach the CIC addendum when signing publishing agreements to ensure that academic authors retain certain rights that facilitate archiving, instructional use, and sharing with colleagues to advance discourse and discovery.

B. Research Involving Animal Subjects

University policy and government regulations require that all research, teaching, or testing activities involving live vertebrate animals conducted at Purdue University or owned by Purdue University must be reviewed and approved. For more information visit: http://www.purdue.edu/faculty_staff_handbook/policies/research_policies/integrity.html
Other helpful links: Purdue Animal Care and Use Committee
Institutional Review Boards

C. Research Involving Human Subjects

University policy and government regulations require that all research with human subjects that is conducted by any Purdue University employee and/or student, or involves use of Purdue University facilities must be reviewed and approved. For more information visit http://www.purdue.edu/policies/academic-research-affairs/b-45.html

D. Research Involving the Use of Biohazards

The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) promotes the safe and proper use and management of biohazardous agents and recombinant DNA.  For more information visit https://www.purdue.edu/research/research-compliance/regulatory/biohazard-rdna/biosafety-committee.php

E. Research Involving the Use of Hazardous Chemicals

The University Chemical Management Committee promotes the safe handling, use, storage, and disposal of chemicals.  The committee is available as an advisor to the University community and also provides training in the management of hazardous chemicals.

For information, contact the chair of the University Chemical Management Committee, through the department of Radiological and Environmental Management http://www.purdue.edu/rem/

F. Research Involving the Use of Radioactive Material and Radiation-Producing Devices

The University Radiological Safety Committee, under Nuclear Regulatory Commission guidelines, has the responsibility of ensuring the safety of the University community in the utilization of all radioactive materials and radiation‑producing devices.  The University Laser Safety Committee is responsible for ensuring the safe use of certain lasers. Specific information is available online at http://www.purdue.edu/rem

G. Graduate Students Needing Access to Survey Students

Graduate students needing access to survey students through campus-wide email for their research are required to submit the following information electronically to the Graduate School (lmason@purdue.edu):

  • Student Name; Department; College;
  • A copy of the survey to be sent
  • A letter or email from your major professor showing his/her review and approval of the survey
  • The cover letter you intend to use for the email
  • Proof of IRB approval
  • Certificates for CITI and/or Responsible Conduct of Research training.

After receipt of this information the Graduate School with review, and if approved, will notify the student, major professor and the Office of the Registrar.  The student can then contact the Office of the Registrar to proceed with the e-mailing of the survey.