Graduate School Form 25 □ Request for New Concentration
(Revised 01/15) □ Request for Revision of Existing Concentration
□ Request for Deletion of Existing Concentration
Request for a Concentration
Heads of graduate programs may request that one or more concentration(s) be established within their majors, to allow a specialized area of graduate study to be reflected on a student’s final transcript. A minimum of (9) nine credit hours of graded, graduate level coursework, i.e., 50000 and 60000 level courses, is required for a concentration.
Graduate Program (Major) ______________________________________________________ Major Code ________
Title of Concentration _________________________________________________________________________
Effective Session: ______ Fall ______ Spring _____ Summer Academic year: 201 _____ - 201 _____
Degrees to which this concentration applies: Mode of Delivery (i.e.: Campus Based/ Distance-Online):
____________ Master of Science ______________________________________________
____________ Master of Arts ______________________________________________
____________ Doctor of Philosophy _______________________________________________
____________ Other ______________________ ________________________________________________________
Campus(s) at which this concentration applies:
____________ Fort Wayne
____________ North Central
____________ West Lafayette
- Justification: Please address the following topics (in order) when requesting a concentration: (Attach additional sheets as necessary.)
- Statement of the mission of the proposed concentration including, but not limited to, the need for the concentration, the target audience, the relationship to the major under which the concentration will be listed, and the relationship to other concentrations in the degree program
- Focus of the research or professional program
- Participating faculty, including name, academic rank, and departmental affiliation
- Currently enrolled or expected number of students
- Core courses and a description of how they fit into and support the degree program. List only the courses required for this concentration.
- Learning outcomes (e.g., unique knowledge or abilities, capacity to identify and conduct original research, ability to communicate to peer audiences, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, etc.).
Recommended by: Approved by:
______________________________________________________ ______________________________________ _____________________
Head of the Graduate Program Date Graduate School Dean (West Lafayette) Date
______________________________________________________ Concentration Code ___ ___ ___ ___
Academic Dean Date (To be assigned by the Office of the Registrar if this request is for a new concentration)
___________________________________ ____________ _________________________________________________
Additional Authorizing Signature (if applicable) Date Contact person (& e-mail address) for questions regarding form
Please submit this form to the Graduate School, PWL. An approved copy will be returned to the department and academic college/school at the campus recommending the request.