Apr 24, 2018
About the Program
Increasing opportunities exist for agricultural graduates to enter managerial positions in business. These businesses may be large or small and may be organized as proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, or cooperatives. They include meat, dairy, and poultry processing industries, grain handling, feed manufacturing, and seed and fertilizer firms; transportation and storage concerns; and wholesale and retail food businesses. Although this Department of Agricultural Economics curriculum gives special emphasis to agriculturally related businesses, its requirements are broad enough to allow adequate preparation for nonagricultural businesses. This option also has enough flexibility to permit you to prepare for an international career in agricultural business and can serve as a foundation for graduate school.
- Agribusiness Management
- Commodity Marketing
- Food Marketing
Agribusiness (multiple concentrations) Website
Degree Requirements and Supplemental Information
The full Program Requirements for 2016-17 Agribusiness: Commodity Marketing include all Supplemental Information and selective lists of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. These are intended to be printer-friendly, but include less descriptive course detail.
Please see below for program requirements and the necessary degree fulfillments.
120 credits required for graduation
Departmental/Program Major Courses (103 credits)
Required Major Courses (39 credits)
Major Selectives (3 credits)
- AGEC Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (61 credits)
Electives (17 credits)
- Elective - Credit Hours: 17.00
University Core Requirements
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 9 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
Spring 3rd Year
- AGEC 42100 - Advanced Commodity Marketing
- Food and Agribusiness Management Selective - Credit Hours: 4.00
- Math/Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Agry or Animal Science Selective at 20000+ - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Written or Oral Communication Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
Fall 4th Year
- AGEC 30500 - Agricultural Prices
- Agricultural Economics Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective (30000+level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Electives - Credit Hours: 5.00
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree.
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Official and complete prerequisite lists are in the course catalog; the incomplete listing presented here regards this program and course sequencing.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program. For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor:
American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.