About the Program
The Soil and Water Sciences option provides a strong science education, while preparing students to apply this knowledge in many technical phases of soil, water resources and environmental management. Opportunities are numerous and encompass a broad range in science, management, and education with diverse applications addressing agricultural water use, food security, soil and water quality and secure water supplies. Students are especially qualified for graduate study in hydrology, water resources, soil chemistry, soil physics, soil microbiology, environmental science, soil mineralogy and genesis, and ecology.
Soil and Water Sciences Website
Degree Requirements and Supplemental Information
The full Program Requirements for 2016-17 Soil & Water Sciences include all Supplemental Information and selective lists of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. These are intended to be printer-friendly, but include less descriptive course detail.
Please see below for program requirements and the necessary degree fulfillments.
120 credits required for graduation
Departmental/Program Major Courses (109 to 110 credits)
Required Major Courses (29 to 30 credits)
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (80 credits)
Electives (10 or 11 credits)
- Elective - Credit Hours: 10.00 - 11.00
University Core Requirements
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 9 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
Spring 4th Year
- AGRY 33500 - Weather And Climate
- Engineering or Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Agricultural Economics, Economics, Management or Organizational Leadership and Supervision Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Electives - Credit Hours: 3.00
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree.
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program. For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor:
American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.