Nov 20, 2017
About the Program
Plant science is an option which includes training to improve plants through genetic manipulation and to investigate new methods of propagation, growth, handling, and marketing of horticultural crops. Horticultural scientists work at colleges and universities, state and federal experiment stations, and public or private laboratories and foundations. This curriculum prepares students for scientifically oriented careers such as technicians in plant breeding, propagation, and research industries. It is an excellent preparatory program for students planning to pursue post-graduate study toward a Masters or PhD degree.
Horticulture (multiple concentrations) Website
Degree Requirements and Supplemental Information
The full Program Requirements for 2016-17 Horticulture: Plant Science include all Supplemental Information and selective lists of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. These are intended to be printer-friendly, but include less descriptive course detail.
Please see below for program requirements and the necessary degree fulfillments.
120 credits required for graduation
Departmental/Program Major Courses (114 credits)
Required Major Courses (16 credits)
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (98 credits)
Electives (6 credits)
- Elective - Credit Hours: 6.00
University Core Requirements
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 9 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
Fall 4th Year
- HORT 49100 - Special Assignments In Horticulture
- Horticultural Production Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Sciences Selective (30000+ level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Concentration Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- UCC Science, Technology, & Society Selective - Credit Hour: 1.00
- Elective - Credit Hours: 2.00
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree.
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program. For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor:
American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.