Nov 24, 2017
Learn how to design and manage a small farm enterprise. Study the principles of sustainable agriculture including non-chemical pest and soil management. Investigate organic, local, and urban agriculture systems and study the resilience of the American food system. Gain hands-on experience at the new Purdue University student farm. This is a comprehensive, science-based degree program that will prepare you to manage low-input farming enterprises and for a career in many other agricultural and environmental professional fields.
Sustainable Food and Farming Systems Website
Degree Requirements and Supplemental Information
The full Program Requirements for 2016-17 Sustainable Food & Farming Systems include all Supplemental Information and selective lists of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. These are intended to be printer-friendly, but include less descriptive course detail.
Please see below for program requirements and the necessary degree fulfillments.
120 credits required for graduation
Departmental/Program Major Courses (114 credits)
Required Major Courses (13 credits)
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (101-102 credits)
Electives (5-6 credits)
- Elective - Credit Hours: 5.00 - 6.00
University Core Requirements
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 9 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
Fall 4th Year
- SFS 35100 - SFS Capstone Project
- Business Management Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Economics Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective (30000+ level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Elective - Credit Hours: 3.00
Spring 4th Year
- Ecology/Environment Selectives - Credit Hours: 6.00
- Food Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Elective - Credit Hours: 2.00 - 3.00
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree.
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program. For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor:
American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.