About the Program
Agricultural engineers apply their knowledge of agricultural systems, natural resources, and engineering to equipment design and assure environmental compatibility of practices used by production agriculture. The Agricultural Engineering curriculum offers great breadth, with specialization choices in machine systems engineering and environmental and natural resources engineering. Subject areas include computer-aided engineering, fluid power, finite element analysis, natural resource conservation, and engineering properties of biological materials. Excellent career opportunities exist in product engineering, equipment research and design, facilities design, environmental consulting, and engineering management.
Degree Requirements and Supplemental Information
The full Program Requirements for 2016-17 Agricultural Engineering include all Supplemental Information and selective lists of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. These are intended to be printer-friendly, but include less descriptive course detail.
Please see below for program requirements and the necessary degree fulfillments.
128 credits required for graduation
Departmental/Program Major Courses (126 or 125 credits)
Required Major Courses (34 credits)
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (92 or 91 credits)
Electives (2 or 3 credits)
- Elective - Credit Hours: 2.00 or 3.00
University Core Requirements
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 6 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 3 credits of Humanities or Social Science Selective (30000+ level)
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
128 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
Spring 4th Year
- ABE 48600 - Agricultural Engineering Design
- Engineering Technical Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective - Credit Hours: 2.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective (30000+ level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Elective - Credit Hours: 2.00 or 3.00 *
128 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree.
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Official and complete prerequisite lists are in the course catalog; the incomplete listing presented here regards this program and course sequencing.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program. For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor:
American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.