Apr 08, 2020
About the Program
Chemistry at Purdue University has a ratio of 1 faculty member for every 8 undergraduates, which allows students to enjoy a great deal of individualized attention. It also offers opportunities for mentoring programs and cutting-edge undergraduate research in a wide range of fields from drug discovery to climate change.
The B.S. program with chemistry as a field of study is designed for those who want training in chemistry and freedom to pursue minors or second majors in other areas. Common areas of interest have been Forensic Sciences, Biology, Foreign Languages, Management, Psychology, and other Liberal Arts areas. The flexibility in this program adapts easily to Study Abroad semesters.
120 Credits Required
Departmental/Program Major Courses
Required Major Courses (61 credits)
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (42 credits)
Electives (17 credits)
8 credits must be at the 30000 -level or above
University Core Requirements
For current pre-requisites for courses, click here.
Fall 1st Year
- CHEM 105 (CHM 11500) - Credit Hours: 5.00
- MATH 211 (MA 16500) - Credit Hours: 4.00
- ENGL 111 and/or ENGL 112 (ENGL 10600) - Credit Hours: 4.00
- IVYT Student Success - Credit Hours: 1.00
- COMM 101 (COM 11400)
Spring 1st Year
- CHEM 106 (CHM 11600) - Credit Hours: 5.00
- MATH 212 (MA 16600) - Credit Hours: 4.00
- ENGL 112 (ENGL 10600) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- PSYC 101 (PSY 12000) - Credit Hours: 3.00
Fall 2nd Year
- CHEM 211 (CHM 25500) - Credit Hours: 5.00
- PHYS 220 (PHYS 17200) - Credit Hours: 4.00
- CHEM 21500 (Free Elective) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- PHIL 101 or 102 PHIL 11000 or 11100 - Credit Hours: 4.00
Spring 2nd Year
- CHEM 212 (CHM 25600) - Credit Hours: 5.00
- PHYS 221 (PHYS 27200) - Credit Hours: 5.00
- CHEM 27900 (Free Elective) - Credit Hours: 5.00
*Satisfies a University Core Requirement
**Satisfies a Non-departmental Major Course Requirement
- Students must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all CHM courses.
- Students must have 32 credits at the 30000 level or above taken at Purdue.
- 2.0 Graduation GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
The student is ultimately responsible for knowing and completing all degree requirements.
The myPurduePlan powered by DegreeWorks is the knowledge source for specific requirements and completion.