Aug 05, 2020
2019-2020 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Insect Biology: Forensic Entomology, BS
Students desiring to focus exclusively on forensic entomology are best served by this option in the department of Entomology. The forensic entomology area of concentration provides the coursework necessary for American Board of Forensic Entomology technician certification and is designed to meet the standards of the Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission for forensic science. As such, this program is intended for those interested in being crime scene investigators anticipating they will work with entomological material, as well as post-graduate programs in Entomology of Biology focusing on forensics.
120 Credits Required
Departmental/Program Major Courses (52 credits)
Required Major Courses (52 credits)
Other Departmental /Program Course Requirements (67-68 credits)
Electives (0-1 credits)
- Electives - Credit Hours: 0.00 - 1.00
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.00 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- International Understanding Selective - Credit Hours: 9.00
- Multicultural Awareness Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- 6 Credits: Written/Oral Communication or Social Science and Humanities categories must come from 30000+ courses or above - Credit Hours: 3.00 AND Written/Oral Communication or Social Science and Humanities categories must come from 30000+ or above or from a course with a required pre-requisite in the same department - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture - Credit Hours: 9.00
University Core Requirements
- Human Cultures Humanities
- Human Cultures Behavioral/Social Science
- Information Literacy
- Science #1
- Science #2
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
- Quantitative Reasoning
For a complete listing of course selectives, visit the Provost’s Website.
For current pre-requisites for courses, click here.
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
- Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program.
For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor: American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical.
In alignment with the Degree Map Guidance for Indiana’s Public Colleges and Universities, published by the Commission for Higher Education (pursuant to HEA 1348-2013), a Critical Course is identified as “one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major. Students who want to be nurses, for example, should know that they are expected to be proficient in courses like biology in order to be successful. These would be identified by the institutions for each degree program”.
The student is ultimately responsible for knowing and completing all degree requirements.
The myPurduePlan powered by DegreeWorks is the knowledge source for specific requirements and completion.