May 18, 2021
A minor in Materials Engineering is available to students with an entering cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better.
Requirements for the Minor (18 credits)
A. Core Requirements (9 credits)
B. Electives - Choose Three (9 credits)
The pre- and co-requisites for MSE courses relevant to the minor are
|Class||Pre- and Co-requisites|
|MSE 23000 ||Pre: CHM 11500, MA 16500|
|MSE 26000 ||Pre: MA 26100; Co: MSE 23000, CHM 11600|
|MSE 27000 ||Co: MSE 23000, MA 26100 and MA 26500 (or MA 26200)|
|MSE 33000 ||Pre: MSE 23000|
|MSE 34000 ||Pre: MA 26600 (or MA 26200), MSE 26000|
|MSE 37000 ||Pre: MSE 23000, MSE 27000, PHYS 24100 (or PHYS 27200)|
|MSE 38200 ||Pre: MA 26500 (or MA 26200) and Statics/Dynamics Course|
|MSE 5xx00||Pre: MSE 23000 and Consent of Instructor2|
- No laboratory classes can fulfill the MSE minor requirements. This includes MSE 23500 , MSE 33500 , MSE 36700 , MSE 43000 , MSE 44000 , and MSE 49900 .
- Up to two MSE 5xx level courses can be taken to fulfill the 18 credit hours required.
- If student is ME, NE, or ChE, then MSE 34000 is not allowed and the 9 credits must be selected from rest of elective list.
- A grade of “C” (not “C-“) or better in all of the courses taken toward the MSE minor is required.
- Generally, all of the above prescribed minor courses must be taken at the Purdue West Lafayette campus.
- 1 NUCL 32000 and CE 23100 are also acceptable.
- 2 Prerequisites for MSE 5xx00 courses will vary by course.
The student is ultimately responsible for knowing and completing all degree requirements.
The myPurduePlan powered by DegreeWorks is the knowledge source for specific requirements and completion.