EEE Major Selectives (21 credits)
For several elective and selective requirements, lists of acceptable courses will be maintained by the EEE Associate Director of Advising, with approval of changes by the EEE Academics Committee. In addition, students will be able to petition the EEE Academics Committee to have other courses (including one-time special offerings) count for one of the requirements. These lists are therefore considered dynamic, and it is anticipated that small changes will be made to the lists regularly.
All Plans of Study are ultimately subject to approval by the EEE Academics Committee. The EEE curricular guidelines were designed to maximize flexibility so individualized student-centered Plans of Study can be crafted. Proposed Plans of Study without sufficient rigor and academic integrity worthy of earning a BSEEE will not be permitted.
Many courses have prerequisites. It is the student’s responsibility to integrate prerequisite courses into the overall Plan of Study.
Rules for EEE Selectives
- At least seven courses, comprising at least 21 credits, are required.
- At least twelve (12) of the 21 credits must be in the College of Engineering at the 20000-level or above. Of these twelve credits, at least three credits must be at the 40000-level or above.
- At least one course (or three credits) must focus on Earth Science (Category A).
- At least one course (or three credits) must be classified as an “Engineering Design” course (Category B).
- At least one course (or three credits) must be classified as “EEE Professional Practice” course (Category C).
- At least one course (or three credits) must be classified as “EEE Engineering Fundamentals” course (Category D).
- Students are encouraged to propose a selective plan of study which integrates personal career goals with Purdue coursework. Plans of study require approval from the EEE advisor, the EEE Faculty Mentor and EEE Academics Committee.
- Students are allowed and encouraged to choose more than twelve credits from the Universally Approved (ABCD categories) list.
Technical Electives (6 credit minimum required)
Technical Electives are broadly defined as any course in a technical field, typically from the Colleges of Engineering, Agriculture, Science, Polytechnic Institute, or Krannert School of Management. AGEC from Agriculture and ECON from Management are excluded as these count as General Education Electives.
It is recommended that a student choose additional EEE Selectives to satisfy this requirement, or take prerequisite courses to prepare for advanced EEE Selectives that the student is interested in.
Beyond the recommendation to meet the Technical Elective requirement with courses from the EEE Selectives list, should a student instead want more breadth or exposure to varied topics, the list below identifies courses that are approved Technical Electives. (Remedial courses and seminars are not allowed.)