Sep 25, 2023
About the Program
Prepare for a profession that serves business and society by promoting awareness of food, agriculture, and science issues among rural and urban audiences. Purdue agricultural communication majors gain skills and experience in public relations, marketing, journalism, and new media through diverse coursework and competitive internships. Through the program’s design, students have the advantage of excelling in communication, science, and agricultural courses-a combination future employers value. Though situated within a large university, the agricultural communication program offers a close-knit community in which students receive personal attention from faculty and staff in the College of Agriculture.
Agricultural Communication Website
Summary of Program Requirements
The Summary of Program Requirements for Agricultural Communication is a comprehensive list of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. Unlike the full Program Requirements listed below, complete lists of selectives for any given category are not shown. These summaries are intended to be printer-friendly and less expansive in detail.
Detailed Program Requirements
Please see below for detailed program requirements and possible selective fulfillments.
120 credits required for graduation
Departmental/Program Major Courses (111 credits)
Required Major Courses (9 credits)
Electives (9 credits)
- Elective - Credit Hours: 9.00
University Core Requirements
- Human Cultures Humanities
- Human Cultures Behavioral/Social Science
- Information Literacy
- Science #1
- Science #2
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
- Quantitative Reasoning
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 9 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
Spring 3rd Year
- YDAE 46000 - Agricultural Publishing
- Agricultural Selective (30000+ Level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Communication or AGCM Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- UCC Humanities Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Elective - Credit Hours: 3.00
Spring 4th Year
- AGCM or Science Communication Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Agricultural Selective (30000+ level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Electives - Credit Hours: 6.00
120 semester credits required for Bachelor of Science degree.
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program. For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor:
American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish