2015-2016 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Virtual Product Integration, BS
About the Program
Modern product manufacturing is increasingly supported by data-driven design, production and support throughout a product’s lifecycle. With a major in virtual product integration (VPI), you will use the latest tools to effectively communicate and support each step in the product’s lifecycle.
In your classes, you will define, build, and visualize 3D models to demonstrate how products are built, how they are made, and how they are serviced and supported. You will develop simulations and visualizations to demonstrate and validate how products function. Your work will be done primarily with product lifecycle management (PLM) software tools for simulation, computer-aided design (CAD), and product data management (PDM). To gain relevant experience, you will have the opportunity to work in industry and be an integral part of teams that implement and utilize these technologies.
The foundation of virtual product integration is the use of digital representations of a product. They are created using trusted processes focused on information technology and how the product is used. In the workforce, digital data and the data stream make the workflow for design, manufacturing, collaboration and sustainment more efficient.
You will join others students in the program who design data workflows and data flow processes to communicate product information throughout the product lifecycle to those people who need it. In addition, your work can be used to develop new software tools or modify and extend existing software tools.
- Combine your skills in modeling, information technology and engineering concepts to help companies produce better projects
- Learn the skills necessary to connect the knowledge of other members of a work team and move a project forward
- Work on research projects with faculty and graduate students to add to your portfolio and improve industry processes
- Be considered for industry and research internships with leading companies and in faculty laboratories.
- Multiple opportunities for graduate-level education, to help you become a researcher or respected leader in your field of expertise.
- Utilize the Polytechnic learning environment to become a career-ready graduate
Summary of Program Requirements
The Summary of Program Requirements for Virtual Product Integration is a comprehensive list of those categories which a student must fulfill in order to earn their degree. Unlike the full Detailed Program Requirements listed below, complete lists of selectives for any given category are not shown. These summaries are intended to be printer-friendly and less expansive in detail.
Detailed Program Requirements
Please see below for detailed program requirements and possible selective fulfillments.
Catalog Term: 201610
120 Credit Hours to Graduate
“C-” or better required in all major courses