General Education Requirements for CE Students
CE Students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours of General Education Elective Courses (COM 11400: Speech and ENGL 10600 English Composition are required and separate from the General Education Electives).
Three credit hours of General Education Electives is covered with the combination of 1 cr. from CE 29202 (2 cr.) + CE 39201 (2 cr.).
CE students must complete CE 29202 and 39201 and receive a grade of C- or better. It is recommended that CE students take CE 39201 in their Junior year.
Additional General Education Courses
The 15 credit hours of additional General Education courses must be chosen subject to the requirements listed below. COM 11400 cannot be used to fulfill any of these requirements:
- A minimum of 6 credit hours must be taken in subjects designated as Social Sciences; one course must be taken from the Foundational Behavioral/Social Sciences approved list.
- A minimum of 6 credit hours must be taken in subjects designated as Humanities; one course must be taken from the Foundational Humanities approved list.
- A minimum of 6 credit hours must be taken from courses:
- at the 30000-level or above OR
- having a prerequisite (Non-Introductory) in the same subject.
- Example: SPAN 10200 is a humanities elective that is non-introductory (has a prerequisite of SPAN 10100) and also meets the foundational humanities approved list.
- If a student desired to take classes in a foreign language subject, credit is now allowed for language courses in the student’s native tongue(s), but literature, culture, drama, and related courses are allowed.
- All courses must be taken for a grade. However, credit by examination or granted credit, conditioned solely at the discretion of the awarding department, can be sued to satisfy any part of these requirements.
- No Course may be used more than once even if the offering department allows it to be repeated for credit.
- No more than 6 credits of General Education courses should be taken in any one semester.
- It is highly recommended that ECON 25100 be taken.
All Courses are subject to approval when filing the Plan of Study.
- Preapproved courses are listed on the Plan of Study Web Tool at http://newton.ecn.purdue.edu/~ce/POS. This list is reviewed periodically. To ensure a course will count toward requirements, submit a Plan of Study for review to the CE Main Office with all necessary signatures.
Course used to satisfy the General Education requirements must be drawn from the following list of subjects.
Most courses offered in these subjects are allowable, provided that a course is open to CE students and a course is not focused primarily of professional training, natural science or mathematics.
- Social Sciences
- AGEC, ANTH, ASL, HDFS, COM, ECON, POL, PSY, SLHS, SOC
- AAS, AD, AMST, ARAB, ASAM, CHNS, CLCS, CMPL, DANC, ENGL, LC, FR, GER, GREK, HEBR, HIST, IDIS, ITAL, JWST, JPNS, LALS, LATN, LING, MARS, MUS, PHIL, PTGS, REL, RUSS, SPAN, THTR, WGSS