Dec 01, 2023
About the Program
Natural Resources and Environmental Science (NRES) is an interdisciplinary program that combines classes in the biophysical sciences with classes in environmental policy to develop graduates who are well-equipped to deal with the environmental challenges of the 21st century. Students can choose from one of five concentration areas: air quality, environmental policy and analysis, land resources, water quality, or emerging environmental challenges. NRES graduates work in an exciting variety of environmentally related careers in the public and private sector, including state and federal agencies, consulting firms and non-profits.
Students in the Air Quality Concentration choose 21 credit hours of course work in atmospheric sciences, climate and air pollution.
Natural Resources and Environmental Science Website
120 Credits Required
Departmental/Program Major Courses (106-107 credits)
Required Major Courses (10 credits)
Electives (13-14 credits)
College of Agriculture & University Level Requirements
- 2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree
- 32 Upper division credits taken from Purdue
- 9 credits International Understanding
- 3 credits Multicultural Awareness
- 9 credits of Hum and/or Social Sciences outside the College of Agriculture
University Core Requirements
- Human Cultures Humanities
- Human Cultures Behavioral/Social Science
- Information Literacy
- Science #1
- Science #2
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
- Quantitative Reasoning
For a complete listing of course selectives, visit the Provost’s Website.
For current pre-requisites for courses, click here.
Fall 4th Year
- AGEC 40600 - Natural Resource And Environmental Economics
- Air Quality concentration selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Biochemistry, biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, or statistics selectives - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Elective - Credit Hours: 3.00
Spring 4th Year
- Air Quality Concentration Selectives - Credit Hours: 6.00
- Humanities or Social Science Selective (30000+ level) - Credit Hours: 3.00
- Electives - Credit Hours: 3.00-4.00
2.0 GPA required for Bachelor of Science degree.
Consultation with an advisor may result in an altered plan customized for an individual student.
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language proficiency requirements vary by program.
For acceptable languages and proficiency levels, see your advisor: American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, (ancient) Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
The ♦ course is considered critical. A Critical Course is one that a student must be able to pass to persist and succeed in a particular major.
The student is ultimately responsible for knowing and completing all degree requirements.
The myPurduePlan powered by DegreeWorks is the knowledge source for specific requirements and completion.