Jan 30, 2023
Freshman Composition Selective +
Freshman Speech Selective+
Technical Writing Selective+
Materials and Processes Selective
Computer Graphics Selective
All Polytechnic Institute courses at the 30000 level or above (excluding MFET 30000) that are not required for the major.
- ECET 27900 - Embedded Digital Systems
- FNR 30110 - Sustainable Wood Products Manufacturing
- MGMT 45500 - Legal Background For Business I
- AT 30000-49900,
- CGT 30000-499000,
- CM 30000-49900,
- CNIT 30000-49900,
- ECET 30000-49900,
- ENGT 30000-49900,
- MET 30000-49900,
- MFET 30000-49900,
- OLS 30000-49900,
- TECH 30000-49900,
- TLI 30000-49900,
- AFT 30000-49900,
- MSL 30000-49900,
- NS 30000-49900
Statistics or Quality Selective
Continuous Control Selective
Senior Capstone Selective I
Senior Capstone Selective II
Humanities/Social Science Elective
Any non-remedial course.
Step 1: Complete the Pre-test Intercultural Development Inventory Assessments (1st year)
Step 2: Complete one (1) of the following global experiences:*
- Participate in A Purdue University international capstone, collaborative project, or
- Participate in an international internship (international location), or
- Participate in a full semester abroad program program, or
- Complete 3 credit hours from the Polytechnic list of recommended Global/Cultural courses.
Step 3: Complete the Post-test Intercultural Development Inventory Assessments (4th year)
NOTE FOR TRANSFER/CODO STUDENTS: Transfer and CODO students with less than 75 credit hours remaining to completed their Polytechnic Plan of Study are exempt from Step 1 (taking the IDI Pre-test).
*Global experiences must take place during the time of enrollment in Polytechnic to complete Step 2. Experiences taken place prior to a student’s initial enrollment will not serve to complete Step 2. Intercultural competencies gained on experiences prior to Polytechnic enrollment will be captured as baseline data on a student’s IDI.
Approved Global/Cultural Course List for Intercultural Requirement
The SOET Professional Experience requirement is intended to document those experiences which help expose SOET students to the expectations of their professional prior to graduation. This may occur through industrial experience, technical or administrative involvement with community service, military service, et cetera. Approval has been granted for the following experiences. Additional experiences may also satisfy this graduation requirement. Requests for approval should be submitted to the SOET Curriculum Subcommittee Chair for consideration, allowing at least four academic weeks for review and response.
Table 1: Approved Professional Experiences
Any TECH Professional Practice course (co-op, intern, etc.)
MET 29900 Internship for Credit
EPICS courses, minimum of two
Any approved internship (assuming student and/or employer provide documentation)
Military service (ROTC completion, reservist, active duty, veteran)
Supervised undergraduate research experiences or laboratory assistantships (e.g., employed in the AEL as lab technician)
Independent study - by petition to ensure the project meets the spirit of the requirement
Professional society/club activities (e.g., led the Solar Racing team) - by petition
Any approved employment or industry project
* Approval Key:
- Automatic - student participation in this professional experience is already documented through existing means.
- Advisor - advisor reviews student’s experience to determine if it meets the spirit of the Professional Experience requirement.
- Faculty - designated committee reviews student’s experience to determine if it meets the spirit of the Professional Experience requirement