Data science involves the development or application of statistical, mathematical and algorithmic techniques or tools with an aim to extract knowledge from large-scale and/or complex datasets and communicate findings.
The Applications in Data Science Undergraduate Certificate program’s learning outcomes will consist of the following:
1. Describe the stages of the data life cycle (data acquisition, organization, curation, analysis, preservation, and communication) and create an effective data management and data analysis plan
2. Develop a foundation in statistical, mathematical and algorithmic techniques or tools for the analysis of large-scale datasets
3. Apply statistical, mathematical and algorithmic techniques or tools in order to extract knowledge and insights from large-scale datasets
4. Interpret results from large-scale data analysis and communicate findings
5. Identify ethical and social implications of data-science-driven decision making and policies and one’s own ethical and social responsibilities when working with data